Adam Scott says world’s best players will be coming to Australia soon

Adam Scott is confident the new world golfing landscape will re-open significant windows for Australian events to once again draw the best international players to vie for what he says remains one of the most cherished titles in the game.

In his position as chairman of the PGA Tour’s Player Advisory Council, Scott, the world No.41, is party to some of the discussions which are set to reshape the game after a deal was done between the PGA Tour and the Saudi Public Investment Fund which could see billions of dollars invested into the sport.

The next evolution could be confirmed by December 31, the deadline for the PGA Tour to finalize details of the merger with the PIF.

That reshape could include shortened seasons which could pave the way for events like the Australian Open, which has been won by some of golf’s giants including Arnold Palmer and Gary Player and more recently Rory McIlroy and Jordan Spieth, to once again draw the world’s best players.

Scott said he was aware of “plenty” of big names keen to try and win the Stonehaven Cup should the new calendar allow it and he’s confident it would happen sooner rather than later.

“I think there’s a chance for some windows to open up,” Scott, who is returning home to play both the Australian Open and PGA in November and December this year.

“The top players in the game for quite a while have wanted a bit more of a gap between seasons on the PGA Tour. There really has been no gap at all so coming down to Australia during Thanksgiving when there is no time off for anybody, there’s about a week, is not really on the radar.

“I think as things take shape on the PGA Tour going forward there’s a strong possibility of a bit more of a window there.

“And I know a lot of the top young players in the states have really enjoyed their experiences in Australia and many have said they look forward to the chance of coming back to play.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next few years as things shake out in the program that we see top players returning to play the Aussie Open. I think it will turn around and guys will be coming back soon.”

This year’s fields at both the Open, again being played as a dual-gender event in Sydney, and the PGA in Brisbane, will be stacked with the best Australian talent. Jason Day is the only one of five Australians in the top 50 not playing.

Major champion Cameron Smith, Cameron Davis, Min Woo Lee, Lucas Herbert and Marc Leishman will all tee it up and Scott was adamant it remained a priority for them to continue to enhance the tournament’s legacy by playing.

Scott said he didn’t have to convince the next generation of stars, many playing for status in the US at the end of long years, to play the national Open.

“We spend a little bit of time with each other through the year crossing paths, but I get the sense they really want to play, they really want to win the Aussie Open, especially for the guys who haven’t,” he said,.

‘You are not going to win it if you’re not in it.

“They not only understand it’s important to keep it as strong as possible, but this is an historical trophy in world golf.”

Scott, who was runner-up in the Australian Open last year, said his hunger to win for a second time remained strong given he doesn’t know how many more he has left.

“I don’t want to say I am getting in too much because I don’t feel it but there are probably less Australian opens for me to play in where I am competing seriously, and the PGA for that matter,” he said.

“So I wants to make the most of every one I am in.”

Leave a Comment