The 2023 AFL Trade Period is on the home straight with some big deals still expected in the closing days.
With three days remaining, we will have all the rumours and confirmed trades for you right here.
Watch every match of The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Live on Kayo Sports. Starts THU 6 OCT 7:30PM AEDT. Join Kayo now and start streaming instantly >
In Monday’s news to date, a Demon seems to be going nowhere, a Tiger is on the move, while another Punt Road product could be headed out of the club.
But we kick off our coverage with a big-name signing by the reigning premiers.
2.40pm AEDT – Schultz is officially on his way to Collingwood
Having kicked 101 goals in 90 games with Fremantle, Lachie Schultz made it clear he was keen on a return to Victoria.
He has got his wish on Monday, with Collingwood finally producing a deal that kept the Dockers happy enough.
Freo receive pick 34 in this year’s draft along with a future first-round selection.
“I’d like to thank Fremantle for my time at the club and for coming to an arrangement with Collingwood,” Schultz said in a statement released by the Pies.
“The Dockers gave me my first football opportunity, and I will be forever grateful for my time there.
“I would not be the player I am today without the support of the football staff and players.
“Family is important to me and is one of the reasons I have decided to make the move back to Victoria.
“There is something special about the Pies – they have experienced ultimate success – and this is something I hope to one day be a part of.
“I am excited to pull on the black and white stripes next year.”
Collingwood general manager of football Graham Wright is excited to be bringing Schultz into the club’s forward line.
“We are pleased to have come to terms with Fremantle for Lachie and look forward to welcoming him and his family to the club in the coming weeks,” he said.
“We feel Lachie’s football talent and forward craft combined with his speed, power, and endurance, make him an exciting acquisition for our football program.”
1.55pm AEDT – Deal done as Roos sign Richmond youngster
Another deal that has gone through on Monday is North Melbourne’s recruitment of Richmond prospect Bigoa Nyuon.
The 200cm defender or ruckman has been swapped for pick 65 in this year’s AFL Draft.
The 22-year-old Nyuon had a consistent season in the VFL in 2022 and made his AFL debut the same season.
“Biggie is an athletic key defender who stood out to us with his ability to take intercept marks and his versatility to play as a ruck,” North Melbourne head of football talent Brady Rawlings said.
“The Tigers have a few tall options down back and in the ruck, so he’s searching for an opportunity to play senior football.
“We look forward to welcoming him into the club and seeing his attributes further develop here.”
1.30pm AEDT – Soldo linked with South Australian move
Since making his debut for the Tigers back in 2017, Ivan Soldo has only managed 57 appearances for a side that relies heavily on co-captain and first-choice ruckman Toby Nankervis.
So it wouldn’t shock for Soldo to be keen to push his case for more game-time elsewhere.
While he is contracted for the 2024 campaign, Solda is interested in a move to Port Adelaide, according to SEN’s Tom Morris.
“There’s been a renewed push from contracted Richmond ruck Ivan Soldo and his management to seek a trade to Port Adelaide,” Morris wrote in a tweet on X.
“The Tigers are holding firm, telling him he’s required after floating him to GWS last year.
“Port will bring in Jordon Sweet regardless.”
It seems Soldo will need to formally request the move, according to Port Adelaide football boss Chris Davies.
“Ivan is in that situation where, from his standpoint, he wants to be a first ruck,” Davies told AFL Trade Radio prior to the trade period starting.
“Whether he’s going to be able to do that at his existing club is the question that he needs to answer himself.
“We definitely have a need in that area and if he was to be in a situation where he wanted to leave Richmond, we would be more than open to him coming.”
12.45pm AEDT – Petty won’t be going anywhere
Harrison Petty has been one of the more intriguing names thrown around throughout the trade period so far.
The versatile Demon has drawn interest from his home state of South Australia, but Melbourne list manager Tim Lamb insists he won’t be going anywhere, NCA Newswire reports.
Lamb said it was “100 per cent” certain that Petty would remain at Melbourne next season as the Crows pursue a player as part of a deal for Shane McAdam and show strong interest in the key position utility, who grew up in Wudinna on the Eyre Peninsula.
Petty will become a free agent when his contract expires at the end of 2025 and has reportedly turned down an extension offer from the Demons.
But Lamb said the club was eager to extend his stay further and categorically ruled out his involvement in any trade during this period.
“One hundred per cent, that’s 100 per cent,” Lamb told AFL Trade Radio when asked whether Petty would stay.
11.45am AEDT – More details arise on that Grundy contract
The Brodie Grundy deal might be done and dusted, with the ruckman finding a third home in just 12 months following his trade to the Sydney Swans.
Former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley is keeping Grundy’s name in the news, however, after discussing Grundy’s controversial contract on Monday.
Grundy was handed a seven-year contract by the Pies back in 2019, which ultimately forced the club to part company with some other players, including Adam Treloar and James Aish.
Buckley has said in hindsight, the club would have been better off moving Grundy on that year, rather than giving him a mega deal that Collingwood is still helping to pay.