A former NRL player accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Brisbane is in mediation with the complainant, a court has been told.
Former Brisbane Bronco Teui ‘TC’ Robati was charged with one count of sexual assault, after an alleged incident in a Brisbane nightclub in December last year.
Previously, Mr Robati’s name had been suppressed due to long standing Queensland laws prohibiting against identifying people charged with prescribed sexual offences before they’re committed to a higher court.
However, new laws were introduced on October 3, allowing those accused of those offences to be publicly named.
Mr Teui did not appear before Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday where his matter was briefly mentioned.
The court was told Mr Teui and the complainant, who cannot be named, were involved in ongoing justice mediation in a bid to resolve the matter.
Justice mediation can only occur if the complainant has agreed to it and the defendant intends to take responsibility for their actions.
The matter was adjourned for further mention to January 12.
During a previous court appearance in March this year, the court was told the Director of Public Prosecutions was likely to transfer the matter to its office if mediation was unsuccessful.
Mr Teui remains on bail.
He was axed from the Brisbane Broncos in February before the NRL season kicked off.
“As part of the process for finalising this season’s squad, forward TC Robati has been released from his contract with the club,” the Brisbane Broncos confirmed in its statement in February.
Mr Robati had made just 17 appearances across two seasons with the Broncos.
He was stood down from the club in January following the sexual assault charge and another driving matter, which has since been dealt with.