NRL 2023: Josh Addo-Carr in Canterbury Bulldogs crisis meeting with Phil Gould

Bulldogs star Josh Addo-Carr will reportedly meet with Canterbury football boss Phil Gould on Friday over concerns surrounding his recent behaviour.

The winger this week apologised one day after he uploaded an Instagram post comparing the Israel conflict to Indigenous land rights.

The former Storm star was earlier this month stood down for the Australian squad for the Pacific Championships and handed a two-match ban for his part in a brawl at the Koori Knockout.

It has been reported Addo-Carr is fighting the suspension handed down by NRL officials.

Because he was named in the Kangaroos squad, Addo-Carr will not have to serve any suspension at the start of the NRL season.

Those controversial incidents are the reason he and his management have been summoned to meet with Bulldogs officials to “clear the air”, according to News Corp.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports Addo-Carr’s future with the Bulldogs is uncertain and there is friction between both parties.

The Herald reports the Bulldogs are frustrated with Addo-Carr after he was involved in two controversies in the last fortnight, while the representative winger feels the club hasn’t supported him enough through the incidents.

News Corp reports rival clubs are aware of Addo-Carr’s situation, but the Bulldogs are not expected to make any rash moves surrounding his future.

Addo-Carr had posted a photo of Aboriginal and Palestinian flags next to each other with the caption “One struggle, one fight” while the phrase “Land Back” was accompanied by two Arabic words.

But via a statement, Addo-Carr said the post was “a mistake”.

“I would like to begin by apologising for any offence I have caused due to my recent social media post,” Addo-Carr said.

“As a proud First Nations man, I saw a message of support against displacement and land rights, and I shared this without full consideration to, or understanding of, the current events happening overseas.

“I recognise that this is a mistake. As soon as it was brought to my attention, I deleted my post and felt remorse.

“Having gone away and looked at what is happening overseas, it is a complex situation. There are no winners in war and where there is loss of life. The message I thought I was sharing, was a message of respect for all people.

“This is the message I wish to share now. Respect; respect for each other, and each other’s culture.

“I recognise that I am a public figure and someone that young kids especially look up to, and I want to do better. I want to be a good role model for them, for the sport and for my culture.

“That’s why I would like to own this mistake, and recent actions, express my sincere apologies, and ask that we aim to treat each other with respect.

“As the situation overseas is ongoing, complex, and emotive, I won’t be making any further comments at this time. My thoughts are with anyone affected by the situation.”

Leave a Comment