Stacey Graham Whaanga Waitoa: Man charged over alleged cafe rampage fronts court, flees media

A man accused of hurling plates at cafe staff during a temper tantrum over a holiday surcharge has sprinted away from court in bizarre scenes after his case was heard for the first time.

Stacey Graham Whaanga Waitoa is facing four charges, including common assault, following an alleged meltdown at a cafe southwest of Brisbane where he is accused of verbally abusing workers earlier this year.

Plates were allegedly sent flying – one narrowly missing the owner’s head – during the fracas.

Footage from the Whisky Business cafe in Capalaba allegedly captures Mr Waitoa pacing the restaurant on the Ekka public holiday, back on August 14.

Mr Waitoa is alleged to have hurled two plates at staff, after becoming verbally abusive.

Others are seen in the footage approaching him after the crockery is thrown.

It is alleged Mr Waitoa became upset as he thought he had been overcharged for food ordered at the cafe when a 15 per cent holiday surcharge was in place.

Mr Waitoa, 48, briefly fronted Cleveland Magistrates Court on Tuesday, where his lawyer sought an adjournment until late October.

Mr Waitoa then bolted from media waiting out the front of the courthouse some time after his matter was dealt with.

He is charged with attempted common assault, common assault, wilful damage and committing public nuisance.

On Tuesday the court was told bail conditions were being sought for Mr Waitoa to ensure he had no contact with the complainants.

Lawyer Michael Mapp said a radius restricting his client from coming a certain distance of the business, on Old Cleveland Rd, was problematic as he regularly drove past it on his way to work.

Mr Mapp said it would take “some time” for his client to avoid the particular road.

Magistrate Patricia Kirkman-Scroope said a simple no-contact order and direction he not approach the business was more appropriate.

“It’s not a domestic violence matter,” she said.

“These people might be witnesses though.”

Mr Waitoa will return to court on October 31 with his appearance excused.

He sprinted from the courtroom up the road to avoid media waiting outside the courtroom some time after his matter was dealt with.

The alleged outburst at the Whisky business cafe prompted a plea from the owner Kylie Baker to treat hospitality staff with respect.

“Please be kind to each other, and to your hospo workers next time you’re out and about,” she said in a Facebook post.

“We are just doing our jobs.”

Leave a Comment