Wests Tigers star Adam Doueihi learns NRL fate over deleted social media comment

Adam Doueihi won’t face any further disciplinary action from the Wests Tigers or the NRL over his controversial social media comment.

Doueihi was issued a “please explain” by the club on Sunday as he tried to explain the offensive social media post.

UFC 296: Edwards vs Covington | SUN 17th DEC 2PM AEDT | Order Now with Main Event on Kayo Sports

The 25-year-old commented on an English Premier League post explaining to fans “How to speak about LGBTQ+ inclusion”.

The post suggested it would be helpful for fans to be an ally and discuss inclusion in positive terms, such as “representation on the pitch is so important”, rather than saying things like “sport is about performance, we shouldn’t care about identity”.

Doueihi commented “embarrassing post” under the graphic, gathering thousands of likes before it was deleted.

Doueihi reportedly told the club he felt the post was “dictating what people could say” which he found “embarrassing”.

But he deleted his comment because he did not realise it came across as homophobic.

A club official told The Daily Telegraph that Doueihi has remorse over the way the comment was received.

“It wasn’t Adam’s intention to hurt anyone,” they said. “We’ve spoken to him and no further action will be taken.

“The club is committed to being an inclusive place for all, we welcome people of all parts of society to be part of our club.

“Our mission statement as a club is to enrich the lives of community and that we are all inclusive.”

The NRL’s integrity unit is also not involved in the matter.

The Premier League’s post was part of the Stonewall’s Rainbow Laces Campaign, which is an annual event in support of LGBTQ+ community and diversity initiatives.

Conceding the comment could have been taken as being disparaging towards the LGBTQ+ community, Doueihi deleted it.

It’s not the first time devout Christian Doueihi has voiced an opinion in such matters.

He was previously been involved in a gay rights controversy when he supported a Sydney Catholic girls school banning students bringing female dates to the Year 12 formal.

He suffered an ACL injury in April and is aiming to return to the field earl next year.

Leave a Comment